View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I've never had a CarPlay implementation that worked reliably and consistently. The VW's would stop working for weeks at a time (only on particular phones, though), and then would inexplicably come back. The one in my parents' Mustang works a little more reliably, but still not 100 percent of the time.

When it does work, it's...fine, I guess, but the integration isn't necessarily better than whatever the car is running natively (especially in Audis without touch screens). Not sure how it would work in a BMW with no touch screen; mine doesn't have it.

There is no chance in hell that I'd pay for it.

Re: FC's point, I'd be very interested in Nick's take on the F80. It's...also fine? I mean, I like it, and there are some things about it I like a lot. But it's not a particularly engaging car to drive, and it also has very little steering feel. It's fast but it definitely has some lag, and the power comes on in a whack that reminds you it is turbocharged. I don't think there's a better performance sedan around right now, but honest to god I'm not sure it's a better overall car than the E46 330i ZHP.
I've had the best luck with CarPlay on GM cars and the worst on Audis. The Audi implementation (atleast with the now last-gen system) was very unreliable and using it w /the control wheel was very tedious.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote