View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #59
clyde
Chief title editor

An update...

I still have not bought a car. As posted above, it became clear I wasn't going to find the car I wanted at the price I wanted to pay. That took the wind out of my sails a bit. While my wife was "okay" with it, she wasn't supportive and that also made me uncomfortable. These were both balanced with the first scheduled event of the year approaching (this coming weekend). A few weeks ago, I had a long conversation with my wife that was intended to find a resolution on what to do with no surprises or discomfort for anyone.

In exchange for her support, I agreed to get rid of one of the driveway decorations and sell two of my guitars. The Miata left that weekend on a trailer owned by some friends that have a farm in Virginia where they grow NA Miatas.

The guitars... These are guitars that have only been out of their cases a handful of times in the past 20 years. My wife wants them gone because 1) I don't use them and 2) they take up space in the closet that she would like to use. And, to be honest, it was my idea to sell them.

To spare the story there, I'm about ready to list them on Reverb.com. Just need to take pics, finish the description of one of them, set asking prices and post. And it's really, really, really, fucking hard to do that. I've played them more in the last couple weeks than I have in 25 years and I'm really enjoying them. But I'll do it.

About 10 days ago, it became clear that I wasn't going to have a car for that first event. It wasn't the biggest problem in the world, however, and my codriver and I figured out an alternative for the event. In terms of what we "need," the next scheduled event where we would "need" the new car is in late May...so accepting that we wouldn't make the first event entirely took the time pressure off.

Then, last week as the reality of coronavirus started to hit, the SCCA decided to not cancel events, but to allow full refunds for that wanted to bail. So, we did the next day...just a couple hours before the SCCA canceled the event.

Also, at the beginning of March, the updated Chevy incentives were announced, and they sucked pretty hard, so between everything, I haven't been looking too hard for cars outside of looking for signs that dealers are getting desperate to sell.

And as of today, it sounds like new car purchases are tanking and most manufacturers are or are about to roll out some significant new incentives. Haven't heard anything specific for Camaros, but it it sounds like GM is very soon going to offer 0% (for up to 84 months? WTF?!) vs the 3.0% or so that was in my planning. Maybe some more money back or better manufacturer->dealer cash, too?

In the past week, I've had a growing feeling that the autocross season isn't going to amount to much. And the more that's grown, the less inclined I've been to spend money on anything for this season. While walking the dog last night, I came to the conclusion that if the SCCA canceled the season tomorrow, I'd probably be content continuing with the turbo until dealers started trying to move leftover 2020s...and that's far enough out in the future with so many unknowns about health, economy, elections, and more that society may all be burned down by then and autocross won't really matter. Meanwhile, the Carvana offer for my car (with slowly increasing mileage) has continued to creep up in recent weeks to $17,026 today.

I'm feeling kind of good at the moment for not having bought something already. As much as I want the car, making this switch right now feels less right than six weeks ago. Even if I did it, I have no where to drive the car, so I wouldn't even be enjoying the car for some time...yet paying for it. OTOH, one of the other GM incentives that may drop is no payments for the first 120 days.

I figure in a best case, the economy will take some hits in the next few months and new car sales will be problematic. OTOH, at some point, auto production will slow and there will be less product to move and maybe things wind up like the 2019s in early 2020. (Or worse?)

Anyway, I can enjoy the guitars a little longer now, I guess.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote