Thread: cars for kids
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #54
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Sounds like its worked out...

Reminds me of the '65 Landcruiser I had in high school and college. When I was in college, it started getting a pretty bad oil leak. Driving the ~120 miles from my parents house to school would lose a quart of oil, with about 1/4 of it ending up in the passenger footwell (it would seep between the firewall and floorboard panels...). That engine held 11+ quarts of oil, so losing a quart barely registered below full on the dipstick, so I got in the habit of keeping 2 quarts in the truck and would top it up before a big drive. It took several trips to the mechanics we used to finally find the major source of the leak -- the gasket between the engine and clutch had failed. While he was in replacing that, we went ahead and replaced the clutch -- amazingly the original clutch plate was still in and was <50% worn when replaced (this was at 92-93k miles)...

We'll be in the market about this time next year. Our daughter turns 15 at the end of the month, and she'll be getting her permit sometime in the next few months... With used vehicle prices so high, it might make sense to lease a Leaf or Bolt instead of getting something used...