View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #124
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
A "nothing's happened yet" update…

Carvana started buying cars again everywhere on May 11. Their offer that day was $15.3. Today was $16.6 (and it's been in a $50 spread the past few days after spending eight days in a $60 spread just over $16.0). I've been re-locking each day which restarts a 7 days clock to take some kind of step.

My hope is that I can work out a deal to buy something in the 7-day window. While sitting on a $16.6 offer from Carvana, I'd be happy to take a $15.6 on trade where I buy a car and come just a little short on sales tax savings, but save an equivalent value bunch of hassle. The biggest problem is the lack of cars available to buy.

I've expanded what I'm willing to buy a bit (I'm now including red cars, and will consider 2SS trims and lack of PDR for the right price), but supply is still really tight. On the other hand, dealers started listing new cars "in transit" on Wednesday, which suggests that cars are actually being built and coming off the line.

On the used front, a lot more cars are showing up now than a few months ago. The ones with aggressive ask prices sell in just a couple days. Ones with high ask prices linger. Ones in between, sell with some time. There are a couple still in my tracker that I contacted in February and they laughed me off.

Overall, these cars are selling. 26 cars in my tracker sold between 5/22 (Friday of Memorial Day weekend) and yesterday.

As of today, there are 3 new cars (1 "in transit") within 500 miles. Expanded to 1,100, 8 total (2 total in transit). Of those, there are only 3 that I'd feel good about.

There are also 8 used cars within 512 miles. Expanding to 1,100 miles, there are 15 used cars. Of those, there are two I will probably contact. One was "just listed" and has no pics, details, or pricing, so it could be a contender.

In comparison. There were about 30 new cars in my preferred config plus maybe 1 or 2 used on any given day in mid-February. Cars would sell, but new ones would show up. Supply was pretty constant from December (when I first started paying daily attention) through mid/late March when everything went weird.

I'm also questioning whether a I still want to buy a Camaro. The 2021 Mustang Mach 1 is something I think I need to think about. A used C7 GS seems to make more sense every day.
For pure ability I’d say C7 GS. I don’t know how this would ruin your SCCA experience though.

Corvette is so much lighter. It does about everything better dynamically.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote