Thread: I love my Miata
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #47
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Well, you can wind out 3rd in a Miata as well. And no, I cannot wind out 2nd in a Boxster in windy country road and then shift to 3rd without being a total a-hole. 3rd in the Miata is basically exactly 2nd in the Boxster.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Boxster. And money and use case are the only reasons why there is a Miata in my garage instead. I'm simply saying the short gears in a Miata are a big reason why it's so enjoyable in low speed roads in spite of its lack of power.

Conversely, the only way to experience the intoxicating 2nd-to-3rd shift at redline (and continuing to apply gas afterwards)* in the 987S was on hwy on-ramps. I can do that on virtually any road in the Miata, as this happens in the 40-50mph range. And no, 1st-to-2nd shifts are not the same.

*BTW, this experience in terms of sound was unmatched by the 997TT, and I still miss it.
Right, gotcha.

The absurd levels of lateral grip are also interesting on the Porsche. Good? Top much for public roads? It's so confusing. #firstworldproblems
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote