View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #110
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Now that my autocross season is basically over, this season did not pan out how I had hoped. My car performed adequately all season with the new shocks and tall stock springs, but I never got a good test day to fully dial-in the shock settings where I really wanted them. I cannot get any negative camber up front with the shocks (-0.7) with the legal spacers, and the tires pay the price. I did okay at the big events, but weather, mistakes and racing-by-calculator made my results look not as good as I thought they were. I had fun running against Clyde and others in the DS class that I had not met before this season. With lots of faster cars likely coming to the DS class next season, I'm done.

I'm putting the TRD parts (springs, sway bars) back on the car and will enjoy the car in the "stock" form I much prefer and lose to the new Miatas again. It won't be competitive, but at least it will be fun and the car will look cool again! If I want to drive one competitively, I'll drive someone else's FRS/BRZ in the SSC or STX class.

My focus has been on our house that is done and amazing now... and the new baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
In the meantime, I’ll be in the market for a 4-5 door vehicle this summer when the house is done that can be practical for driving around town and maybe double as an occasional autocross/track thing in a pinch. I’m mostly narrowed to a $8-12k budget E90/91, F30 320i, Civic Si sedan, Acura ILX, Mercedes C300, Mazda3, or something similar… The FR-S won’t be going anywhere and I plan to get the most out of the MCS shocks for several years.
Yes, I'm quoting myself. Does anyone have any other suggestions for something in this price range? It needs to easily fit a car seat and a large-ish dog every once in a while. With some good financing options, I might end up with a new Civic hatchback or Si sedan. I like the new Toyota Corolla hatch, but it is too gutless. I need to pick up something by the end of the year at the latest.

Notice how bad the windshield was in the photo???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	11931  
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote