Thread: VW's...
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #170
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I'd prefer to have awd in the "regular" car as long as I keep a cayman or boxster as I plan to. The only bmw that could possibly work for me is a 340i xdrive 6-speed, and it'd have to have m-sport with the adaptive suspension (a must); really hard to find on the used market and $$$ regardless.

I haven't tried the 328i or the 328d wagons, I could see Cara liking them if she could go back to an automatic after not driving one for a decade as well as the wonky shift control and RFT's (she hates not having a spare). It would be a step down from her perf package GTI (boosted to about 290hp).

There are no other bmw models that hold interest. Maybe the M's or the 2-series, but those are all RWD and I have no plans of getting out of the porsche.

The Macan is a highly compelling car. I perused their forums and there are plenty of 335/m3/s4 etc transplants who can't find a car that they like. You get a "real" PDK and a decent chassis. I haven't made up my mind because 22mpg on a long trip is not acceptable to me (whether this is rational or not). I made up this 25mpg criterion back when I owned and then sold the s4 avant in 2007. Every car I've had since has abided, even the porsches and the e46 m3.

Q5 TDI is a way to get the engine I want in the size I want, but then will Audi have ruined the handling? I will have to drive. I really should have started a perseveration thread but have to see what's going on with the Jeep first.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote