Thread: VW's...
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #168
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
In the last two weeks, I've driven a Macan S, twice. It is so much better than the JGC, it's not even funny. It's a lot better than the Cayenne as well. Steering felt fine to me, not Audi-like at all. Maybe power steering plus is giving you a speed effect. I did have some nitpics:

- used ones are too expensive. the folks who paid mid-50's msrp are selling them for 40+ three four years on. that tells you the real world value of the car.

- the engine is good but weak down low. very revvy. this means it's not quick enough when lazy. Sport mode is not enough . you have to "participate" by tapping PDK and being aware of your gear. there is a learning curve.

- mpg's suck, seem to get 17-18 combined on premium (22 highway). Range is acceptable with a 20 gallon tank.

- rear seat is compromised, but that is obvious. Non-black interiors and panoramic roof help claustrophobia. I can sit behind myself at 5'10" but only just. Think 3-series.

I still really like it, much more than I thought I would. The cabin, the feel, the porsche switchgear that I'm a fanboi of. I'm split between it and the Cayenne diesel (as a better handling replacement to my Jeep).

I might test the GTS and Turbo variants. We will see. The base 2.0 I drove for a short period. Not enough oomph, though due to the VW/Audi 2.0 torque curve it actually felt just as peppy as the S around town. The thirsty 6 sounds a lot better to my ears.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote