View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #1239
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I generally prefer physical buttons to the huge TV in the car. The Ram has a touch screen and redundant physical buttons for many features. I always find myself using the buttons. The Tesla UX is far superior to any of the other touch-screen based systems I've used, but it's still not what I'd prefer.

The lack of gauges in the driver's line of vision in the 3 is really dumb. IMO.

The steering wheel looks and feels really cheap, IMO.

I dunno. I guess you get used to this stuff over time. I'm still living in the mindset of an E46 interior layout and look, which IMO was pretty much perfection.
I was thinking about this a lot this weekend--I drove the Tesla to Charlottesville after a week or so of driving the BMW every day.

Yes, the lack of gauges in front of the driver is goofy, but you very quickly get used to it--and reading the speed in the Tesla is actually easier than in the BMW, with its goofy 200 mph speedometer and attendant small-as-hell increment marks. And really for the Tesla you don't need a lot of gauges. There's no tach, eg, or water temp or whatever. Battery SOC could be more prominent, but that's about it.

Physical buttons are nice, especially in the winter. And the BMW has a nice row of physical buttons for the media/radio. But there aren't enough of them to store all the good stations, so then you have to dive into iDrive. And let me tell you, iDrive still sucks balls. It's way better than it used to be, but it's far harder to use to do simple tasks than the Tesla.

One HUGE thing--entering nav addresses. In the Tesla, it's easy as hell. The BMW is...not. Fortunately, BMW has a nice linked application that lets you look up the address on your phone and send it to the car, which works pretty well. But just using the iDrive controller to enter an address guarantees you'll pretty much never use the nav.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote