View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #73
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Sorry I don’t know this but are you looking at CPO cars also?

Those will also show up on the market because in a recession these cars are the first to go.
I've been looking at used 2019s and 2020s (there was an ABS calibration change for 2019 that rules out the 2017s and 2018s). So far, pricing is way too close to new (and often more than new).

I had in-depth conversations with two sales managers at different dealerships (one Chevy, one not) and a similar abbreviated version with another Chevy deal who initially feigned insult at my "low ball" offers. I described how I came up with them and they each begrudgingly let me know (more or less) that I was pretty spot on and gave me variations of, "yeah, you're right, but truth is, some idiot is going to pay close to what we're asking and that's why we're asking it. Good luck!"

I drove another used one that had a realistic asking price. I talked numbers with the sales manager a bit just to see after telling him there was no way I was buying the car that night. We ended close enough to the price I would have wanted had it been the right car to know that I could have gotten there. But the car wasn't right (some minor stuff that would need undoing, poorly applied rear window tint that I'd want to remove which could have been a real PITA, and an unshakable feeling that there was a story behind it that wasn't good).

If I can find one used (certified or not) at a reasonable discount, I'll buy it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote