View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #118
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I guess it got a little better. Today is $15,572.

My thinking has been I'd jump at a $16,500 offer. Seriously consider $16,000-$16,499 and just take note of anything under that.

Now...I dunno.

I'm feeling more confident that the used market is going to soon be overrun with cars that people have been waiting unload, lease returns (apparently 2020 is due to have an unusually high number of maturing leases), dumped rental cars (particularly from Hertz and Enterprise).

If reopenings continue unabated, my guess is that I have about a three week window (through first weekend of June) before the value of my car drops for good.

A few more used SS 1LEs have listed in the past few days and the initial asking prices have been lower, which strengthens my belief that what affects the car I'm selling will probably affect the car I'm buying (if I buy used), too, although there may be a lag factor. The used ones, especially the ones with the lower asking prices, are getting snapped up pretty quick. OTOH, there seem to be 3-4 consistently available configured the way I'd want.

And then there is still new.

My latest learning is that there is some small supply of 1LEs built that have been waiting for shipment since March. Those cars often show up in dealer inventories as "en route" so they may already be included in my tracker.

Also, sounds like GM is aiming to reopen the Lansing Grand River Assembly plant (where the Camaro, CT4, and CT5 are produced) on 5/25 where they would likely try to build a few more 2020 cars before moving to 2021 production.

The amount of money I stand to save or lose is not huge. From past discussions on this board, it's probably in the range of noise not worth the hassle of the grind, particularly in a crazy time like right now. Yet, somehow, I'm kind of obsessed.
You think they are really processing offers now? Their website just offered me about 2K OVER what I would be happy with in unloading my Focus