View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 01:01 AM   #15
GSR13
Realist

Carmudgeonly Ride: Honda S2000
I have driven two Z4's, a 2.5 Manual and a 3.0 Step. Both cars drove extremely well and the handling was excellent. The 3.0, despite being a Step, was felt tons faster than my 330i. Granted, most of it was perception, but the car just feels like a rocket.

I agree about the Roof Switch and the Window Switches, both were placed poorly in my opinion. I could deal with it, since it is not something that I am constantly dealing with. I just get used to having them by the shifter. I also dislike the straight dash. I prefer the old school style with the radio and cliimate control tilted towards the driver. Not a big adjustment, as the Z3 is the basically the same way.

The one thing I really like is the position/feel of the shifter. Both the Manual and the Step Shifter feel very well positioned in relation to the driver. I also love the top. Not having to release the latches is a major plus, as is the glass rear window. BMW definately fixed a lot of complaints that we have had with the Z3, but overall my wife disklikes the Z4.

She dislikes the styling but was also very unimpressed with her time spent driving the car. While it immediately turned her off to the Z4, I feel most of her problem was seat position. She is only 5' 3" and the seat was lowered all the way down, which made her feel very low inside the car. This is not a feeling that ever happens in the Z3. The doors just seem much taller on the Z4.

I definately like the car and would seriously consider one if I were buying a roadster for a third car. Not sure it would top the list, but it would definately be on it.
GSR13 is offline   Reply With Quote