View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 09:44 AM   #290
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
My 2 needed it for sure. Could barely turn a corner decently without it. Made all the difference in handling and putting the power down when I had the LSD installed.

Maybe I would not have noticed, if I had not had an M3?

One’s expectations of what a car can do certainly mature over time, if you are lucky enough to drive good, capable cars.
AWD largely satisfies the putting power down requirement. My S4 had a center diff AND a sports rear diff. It's roughly the same power level as the 340 though tuned to respond more frenetically. I don't think the 340 could catch it. Was it more pleasurable to drive than the 340? Sportier, more aggressive, but I like the calmer bmw for daily driving, softer suspension, my kind of seats, simpler controls, better mpg's. In the end, the rear diff in an awd car is only faintly noticeable, only when pushing super hard. Even then, it was a kind of band-aid to the greater understeer of the s4 that always wanted to go straight ahead like a rocket. Perhaps that's its purpose in the x3 40i? I've never read up on those cars. Even so, what are you doing driving an SUV around like a mad person? Calm down and go with traffic, it's not a sports car. Same with the Macan turbo, I just don't like being so aggressive, so capable in a truck. The cayenne diesel (before the fix) was spot on in power & handling. JGC diesel was great too (in terms of power, but not good handling).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote