View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
rost12
Jaded

Go for practical or awesome?

I'm talking about a car for my mother...

Some background - she currently has '01 Audi A6 4.2. Engine and quattro are the only redeeming qualities of that car...everything else (including brakes, a big one) blows. So, after this winter we'll be looking into replacing it. Want to buy the car (50% financing, paid out within 6 months), so looking into something to keep for a long time.

In the family we already have 2 sedans (7er, M5) that work well enough during winter, so AWD is not a priority.

Her prefs - practical (SUV :roll and prestigious. Current choice - BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne :roll: :roll:

My suggestions:
Practical - E500 4-matic wagon. Safe, versatile, prestigious and good looking.
Just great - SL500 and screw the practicality.

I'm leaning towards screwing practicality. I mean, she only needs that extra space one or two times a year when she's shopping for flowers... Rent an Explorer for those two days and you can be driving one of the most beautiful two-seaters in production today, drop the roof down during those perfect days without any sacrifices during the rest of the year. Oh, and SL is definitely a keeper.

Price wise (in canadian) - a nicely optioned E500 4-matic wagon is 96k. SL500 with sports package is 137k. A not an insignificant difference, but doable.

I know, it's her car, I should mind my own business, but... an SL?

Express your opinions here :arrow: :smile:
rost12 is offline   Reply With Quote