View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #63
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I have parked it on snow (with its half-worn all-seasons). Blizzaks should go on when I get a chance.

It's fine really. Still great mpg (just did the first fill-up so will get the pump to computer calibration soon). Good steering and decent ride and handling. Air suspension is good to have.

I can nitpick anything. Some

- I haven't driven longer than an hour. Still fiddling with driver's position. Part of this may be not being used to Automatic pedals. I hope to get comfortable, this is important.

- Emergency brake seems weak, push pedal type. I left it on and drove without feeling much slowness for 100yds after which the beep reminded me. I'll take it in for adjusting.

- Seat heater delayed compared to bmw (they all are)

- Transmission. The 8-speed is excellent, nice downshifts. I keep it in S on highways and D in tight places and heavy traffic. Pairs well with the torquey

- Engine. It's always adequate and never too much. Diesels are made for heavy vehicles. I hit an indicated 31 on a 30mi highway stretch today.

- Space. I thought I was giving up a good amount of practicality with the JGC compared to a RR or 4runner, but I think it's fine. It is less boxy, but on day 2, I brought home one 2x10x10' and five 10' 2x4's without sticking out or tying on a roof. Saved me me a truck rental, $35, 1 out 1000 payback, let's say an hour saved as well.

- 506W speakers. Sound is better than my stock f10 system (which is not HK). This is the second from top system for the Jeep.

- Brakes. Not bad, and in an emergency situation (an accident happened right in front of me today on the GSP) easily responded (with a bit of tire lock - but that's not the brakes fault).

- All thoughts of Toyota or RR have faded away. I do think for someone enthusiastic or not overly budget-minded, the diesel and the hemi feel better than the base engine and have better wafting and cruising.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote