View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
You’d never want more torque to the wheel - the electric motors already exceed the traction limit.
Huh? The car has a gearbox. It's a 9:1 ratio. The had to pick a number to balance low vs high end torque.

Quote:
Differentials never provide equal torque, so why would micro-management of torque be necessary?
After putting the LSD on my E46 if the tires are even slightly different in diameter the car is miserable to drive on a highway. There's obviously some range where you wouldn't feel it, and maybe the motor tolerances are well within this so it's a non-issue.

The neat thing about an LSD thought is that it's putting more torque to the larger diameter tire, so it will wear faster and over time they will equalize. It's a self-stabilizing system. Will the opposite happen with one-motor per wheel (since the smaller wheel will put more torque to the ground)? If so this would create an unstable system - ie if you tires aren't perfectly equal they will continue to get worse over time.

Quote:
Also, the big issue with a dead motor is not disabling the opposite motor (I strongly suspect that you would not want to do that). It’s the drag caused by the dead one.
Hmmm. If the dead one died because of an electrical malfunction and the car switches it off, I'd assume it's the same as being manually switched off, no? But if there's some kind of physical malfunction, then yeah you're fcuked.

Quote:
That seems more complicated than a gearbox.
Having two motors input into a fixed (single gear) transmission is complicated? It would mean they always have to be powered together and turn together (although at different speeds). Maybe this is infeasible for some reason?

Shifting gears while in motion sucks. It's either a) slow and jerky, or b) requires heroics to prevent it from being slow and jerky. No thanks, do not want.

Last edited by rumatt; 12-06-2019 at 11:38 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote