View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #208
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
How much dowforce does a splitter and wing like that generate at autocross speeds and for that matter, what are max auto-x speeds?
Re: speeds, this is from the rulebook:
Quote:
Although Solo® events are non-speed events under the Solo® Rules of the SCCA®, speed alone is not the operative factor in determining what is and is not a proper Solo® event. Hazard is the operative word; hazards must not exceed those encountered in legal highway travel.
Generally, maximum speeds in the mid-50s to mid-60s (mph) are contemplated for Street and Street Touring® category vehicles,...

Courses must be tight enough so that cars
run the entire course in their lower gears. Speeds on straight stretches should not normally exceed the mid-60s (mph) for the fastest Street and Street Touring® category cars. The fastest portions of the course shall be those most remote from spectators and property. Turns should not normally allow speeds in excess of 45 mph in unprepared cars. It must be remembered that sites themselves vary and not all sites will safely support the speeds shown in these guidelines (see Section 1.3). Conformity to these speed guidelines does not preclude reasonable and prudent consideration of the conditions encountered.
This is a mostly stock (R comp tires & fancy shock controllers) C7 GS at the event we ran in Charlotte this past weekend.

John's car should have similar course times to the Vette on most courses and tend to be a wee bit quicker (if everything works out), but I kind of expect the Vette to have higher peak speeds on most courses.

For reference, where this showed the Vette at 76mph going up the hill, my turbomaro rode the limiter at 60mph for about two seconds. If I'd had 19" wheels on the car instead of 18", I'd probably have been on the limiter at about 62mph for nearly a second and a half. My car is in the "Street" category mentioned in the rules. The Vette is at a higher/quicker level.

It was not the fastest course I've ever seen, but it spent a lot more time at the higher end of the range than nearly any I can remember.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote