View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #280
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Maryland is one of the most draconian in terms of tags and insurance. I made the Miata disappear a few weeks before the COVID shutdown, but dawdled on returning the tags. Then the MVA shutdown and tags could only be returned at a few kiosks. I wasn't wild about dropping my tags there because there's no immediate receipt from the state that they took possession of them and I have discharged my civic duty. It was almost two months later when I wanted to get our car insurance stuff in order before I did it and I waited until the state mailed me confirmation before I cancelled insurance on it.

They also make it very difficult, if not impossible, to transfer tags from one vehicle you own to another you own that already has tags. It's super easy to transfer from an old vehicle you are getting rid of to a new one that is immediately replacing it. As long as they are the same class vehicle (car vs truck, etc). If the classes are different, it's doable, but a PITA.
I got a clear and hopefully definitive answer from the MVA today (in writing) along with guidance on what to do with what forms when to make for a smooth tag transfer from car 1 (camaro 1) to car 2 (accord, I think) to car 3 (camaro 2, probably). This is a big relief to me.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote