View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 10:15 PM   #271
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I agree with absolutely all of that.

I've had a number of Carmax appraisals done on a walk-in basis over the years. Tonight, with an appointment, was the quickest ever from arrival to the piece of paper with the number. I also learned a little more about how they do it.

Pre-COVID, you would arrive, they'd take your info and keys and you would take a seat for XX minutes waiting for someone to look at your car, do their stuff, and the rep to get back to you and walk you through a bunch of words before giving you the number.

Tonight, it was arrive, give them my info (which went quicker since I've been there before and they have appraised this car before), and then return to the car. Open hood and trunk, then wait (in this case) about three minutes for the person to get to the car. He has you start it, walks around, pokes head kind of inside, but not really, and takes some pictures.

Since they had looked at the car before (same guy, actually...he remembered the tag), all of the option, color, condition info was already there, so that cut some time because he didn't have to reenter it.

That info and pics then go to their buyer team which is located somewhere else. I couldn't tell if he said it was one team for the entire chain or there are several regional teams, though. But, I thought it was interesting that they have it down to that much of a process and so much distance because the product and people making decisions about money for that product.

Anyway, after sending the info, the guy leaves and tells you the rep you spoke to initially will be back in a few minutes with the offer.

A couple minutes later, she was back. $18,500. I was back in the car and headed home about 18 minutes after I pulled into their parking lot.

I didn't think they would meet/beat Carvana, but it feels better knowing rather than having that little bit of doubt.

Amazing.

Freaking amazing. I’m learning a lot this buying cycle.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote