Thread: Fuck Tesla
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #19
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I love my Model 3, but don't think I'll get MC Red again. Great color, but any issues with it are tough to repair.

I've had it in now several times for paint...
- There was a visible dried drip on the front trunk lid -- this was in the shop for a week to re-paint shortly after pickup. I literally picked up the car the evening before the accident.
- Accident -- damage to drivers side rear 3/4 panel, rear door and more. Was in shop for 5 months...
- Trunk leak. They ended up replacing the rear trunk lid - so it had to be painted. was in the shop for a week when the trunk was re-painted...
- And now I'm getting some paint flaking off on the rocker panel under the driver's door. This was part of the accident repair re-paint. Its going back in on Dec 9 to be corrected (covered by the body shop warranty)... Again, this is expected to be int he shop for several days to a week...
That's no fun.

All paint repairs can be tough and anything beyond a plain basic no-metal flake color makes them all that much harder. My take is that it's not worth the headache to try to properly fix small stuff (like this Tesla scratch). Some careful touch up, with no expectations of it looking perfect, at most. Anything more and there's a substantial risk of it not matching, future flaking, future fade rate/behavior differences, Carfax ding, etc. Even a sub-medicore touch up won't ever look worse than a sub-medicore touch up of something insignificant. Those other things tend to look much worse and cause more resale issues. My opinion, anyway.

If I were in your place, I'm not sure what I would have done about the paint drip. The quality control issues with the early 3 deliveries would have given me pause about waiting, but I don't think I would have wanted to try to fix it...but depends on how noticeable it was, maybe? I'd probably have wanted a credit, but dunno.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote