View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #27
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Wish I would have seen this article last week. On black Friday I purchased 4 WS-80's for the frau's Sportwagon. With the $70 rebate it wound up to be $144.00 per tire, which is right in my preferred wheelhouse when looking at a partial year usage tire.

I might have considered getting the Michi's instead. But the Blizzak's are still a solid choice. Driving in snow is more about stopping and survival, than about having fun.

The Hakka's are impressive no doubt. But dropping 8 benji's on a set of snow tires? Not happening. The wife would rather have the $200 difference in a Starbucks giftcard.

And at the risk of starting another epic winter tire vs all-season tire flame war, I'm decidedly on the side of an all-season being adequate here in Indiana middle on my R32. I've cut through 8 inches of fresh powder with the Conti DSW's before with ease. At $138 per shoe that is fun enough for my tastes. And finally (and this is a biggie), I have limited storage space already housing two other sets of spare tires without adding a 3rd set to the mix.

That being said, if I were in FC's shoes I'd probably spring for the Hakka's. But it's always too easy vicariously spending someone else's money.