View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #18
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I think the miata would be fine in the snow. Either x-ice (we have on the 535i) or the blizzak ws (we have on the GTI) would do the job. The x-ice is a smoother riding tire, the blizzak may have more snow traction. The 5 struggles a bit more than the Golf, but it's not FWD and no real diff unlike the GTI that feels incredibly good on the white stuff. The 5 feels ok on the white stuff, just enough traction for fun but maybe not steep hills in deep stuff. The ride & drive of the michelins is superior to blizzaks off the white.

Do it, return the e-golf as that tech will change and it will eat away at you. The miata on winter tires will be pure fun and not as dangerous as it sounds. Actually far less people die on the roads on bad weather days than on good weather days. I'm sure there are more fender benders and accidents overall but not so many deadly ones.

I drove an e46 with dunlop snows for the cold, hard winters of 2004 and 2005. It was great. I assume a modern-day miata will do as well as an e46 from 15 years ago.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote