View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #1185
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
BTW ZBB, if you haven't tried it yet, nav on autopilot now changes lanes for you without user input. It's pretty crazy.
Yeah — I got that update the other day and turned on the auto-lane change yesterday. In general, it works great. But it is crazy since it is very close to self driving. I drove to the airport this morning and the car basically did everything except the ~2 miles to the freeway and ~1 mile into the airport... It did a decent job overall (and all changes were safe). There was one change where it put me in the left most lane to pass a truck, but then moved me back behind the truck only to move left again 30 seconds later.

The one thing I didn’t like about it is a scenario I have when I leave work:
- There is a freeway on-ramp that I use that has one lane that joins 2 other lanes for 3 total lanes (so no merge); about 1/4 mile after that the 2 right lanes are an exit to a different freeway — with a relatively sharp 90 degree curve to the right (and the middle of the 3 lanes is an optional exit — you can also continue on that freeway). And its a high traffic area (rarely stop and go, but typically a heavy moving flow).
- When the on-ramp joins the first freeway, Autopilot wants to move the car over to the left lane — even thought that’s not necessary until after the ramp to the 2nd freeway.
- So using auto lane change, it wants to move the car into the middle lane. I used to just ignore the “ask” before, and now have to take action to cancel (or just wait to turn on Autopilot.