Thread: CarPlay rant
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
There are 2 parts of bmw’s system where touch screen is better and you need to be really familiar with it to understand what I will try to describe.

The screen has like 7 (maybe more or less) tiles on the main screen (radio, nav, phone, etc.) when you want to open up the radio station your listening to and when you want the weather you just touch the tile it is displayed on where with the idrive you need to click on the tile and which then opens up the menu.

In the radios case when you click the tile it brings you to the radio menu (presets, etc) in the weather’s case when you click the tile with idrive it opens connect drive(or whatever it’s called).

Then you need to click again to the menu you want ...
Yep- I'm familiar w/ the home screen with the tiles- that's how the system in my x3 was setup. I found that I rarely used it since the buttons around the idrive controller let me quickliy jump between the various sections. For getting to the radio screen, I typically just used the "media" button next to the idrive controller or used the "source" button the steering wheel. I didn't regularly check the weather in my car, but when I did I just used the voice system to say "what's the weather", or just "weather" and it opened it. Im pretty sure I could have also setup one of the preset buttons to go to weather directly.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote