Thread: CarPlay rant
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 12:16 AM   #19
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Anything that requires any kind of text entry or menu navigation.

I listen to the radio (NPR or XM) in the BMW because I can’t be bothered to find a song I want to listen to on my phone. Much easier in the Tesla.

Changing sources also a pain in the ass with I drive.

Entering any kind of phone number.

I use the nav all the time in the Tesla because destination entry is so easy. I only occasionally do in the BMW, when I can be bothered to launch the separate BMW app on my phone—even that beats using I drive.

I drive is better really only for hitting mute on conference calls. Otherwise I just use the memory buttons to select new stations.

The built in streaming media on the Tesla system is nice. Surprisingly, my LR has a built in Spotify player but it requires a premium account and I’m not really a Spotify user. Kind of curious to try it out though. Changing sources with the bmw steering wheel should just be a matter of hitting the “mode” button iirc.

Idrive 6 brought a vast improvement in speech recognition - and I used nav all the time in our bmw. Unfortunately I think your car still has the previous gen. So, yeah, text entry with the knob sucks. Does yours have the handwriting recognition? Once you get used to it I found that works pretty well and you can keep your eyes on the road.

I found Selecting stations or songs easy in the bmw since you could quickly scroll through the list either using the steering wheel or idrive controller. I don’t think Tesla lets you use either of the scroll wheels to do that iirc (just to change source), right? Scrolling through lists such as phone numbers, stations or songs is something I did pretty often and I find it so fast and easy with the idrive controller or steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote