View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Good write up.

I've driven the roadster Si's and although I do love the new engine and vastly improved ride, the new cars feel a bit soul-less to me, almost too refined. The older 3.0 engine has a more brutish, more intoxicating feel and my car, though twitchy at times, feels connected to the road.

I disagree with him wrt to the shifting - one of the reasons I'm considering replacing my Zed is I miss having a manual, but these BMW gates and clutches are not satisfying to me, perhaps because I'm comparing them to Honda S2k's and Mazda Miatas

Ed
good info, Ed.

it's interesting that the M ride quality isn't as harsh --but you're spot on, i think, it could just be that non runflats crash less over bumps; easier to damp their motion being much lighter tires.

i don't think shifter motion/feel/preciseness has ever been a BMW strong suit. same for the clutch. it's usually the suspension tuning at speed and the engines.

anyone expecting the precision of an s2000 or the alltime greatest: miata are confused about what they're buying.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote