View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 12:10 AM   #25
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
My V1 came with a kit to hard wire it to a power lead up in the headliner. A little clamp connector that cut through the wire insulation but not enough to damage the wire. You can probably order something similar for your unit if it didn't come with one.

Pain in the ass to do for sure, but 20 minutes of pain to never have to think about it again, and have no wires.
Those taps are not particularly reliable. Depending on how hard it is to get to the area where you are going to install the tap, you might want to solder and tape up the connection (at least if you're good at soldering).

My V1 is hard-wired into and up through the clamshell that covers the BMW rain sensor. The hardest part was getting the cable through the corrugated rubber boot between the clamshell and the headliner. It is wired into a StealthOne, so I had to run an additional wire down through the passenger-side A pillar to get to the I-bus junction behind the glove box.

Sorry for the blur - these are 13-year-old pictures I took before heading out to Bimmerfest '04.

The only PITA is that I've had the windshield replaced twice and nobody can ever snap the clamshell back on properly, so I have to do it myself.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote