Thread: EVs
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #5
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
That a multi-time owner's take on a "this manufacturer builds boring cars that have grown stagnant while many others are launching emotive cars" is to only pinpoint a minor aside supported by industry and market wide conventional wisdom is of similarly dubious value.

But, perhaps accurate and correct, so so noted and the original post has been edited to reflect.
That's fair. Having driven the Taycan and owning a Model 3, I am not sure I'd really characterize the Taycan as "more emotive" than the Model 3. It looks better (from some angles, though the Taycan "face" is less and less attractive the more I see it). It makes fake motor noises. It has a lot of Porsche badges. But...it's an EV. It drives like an EV. It's slower than the Tesla and costs more. It handles better and in that sense is more fun to drive, but to me it doesn't feel much like a sports car.

I haven't driven a Mach E, though I can see the arguments for the Mach E over the Model Y. It's certainly a nicer looking car.

I guess all of this is very subjective. I might still end up with a Taycan or a Mach E (or even a Lyriq) instead of whatever the next Tesla is, assuming the charging network issue doesn't turn out to be a deal breaker. But it's really hard for me to say "wow, the legacy guys have finally figured this out in a way Tesla hasn't by building cars that appeal to me emotionally," when I just don't see much difference between the widgets they're building and the widgets Tesla is building, and the "emotion" of the Taycan and the Mach E seem to come just from the badges that they are wearing.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote