Thread: What now?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #41
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Fuckfacemother McFucker ghosted me all week whenever I tried putting together a time to give him money and sign papers for the 2003 Outback. Until moments ago, that is, when he texted that he can't sell the car.

Still haven't heard back from Subaru of America either, which really pisses me off. Just pick up the phone, call me, tell me, "Fuck no, we're not going to cover it," and let me move on.

Earlier today, I talked to my wife to get her mentally ready for choosing what will be her car for the next few years. She finally gave me some info I can use to narrow choices down for her. I think budget is probably going to be about $25k.

Big wagon to medium crossover. Basically, something with similar footprint, cargo, and passenger space as the Outback. Good visibility out.That sounds to me a lot like:

Honda CR-V
Mazda CX-5
Ford Escape
Toyota RAV4 (sigh)

They're all 5-11" shorter in length and close to the same width (Outback is 72" and these are all either 72" or 73"). Outback has 34 cubic feet behind the seats and these all have 31-38 (not sure how much of that space for Outback or the others is above the rear seat height, which we tend not to go over).

Anything I'm missing? Nissans are a no and not sure I want to try my hand at a GM product here. European stuff that hits the size targets is probably too pricey.

My preference would be for a used current gen car, but the current CRVs and CX5s introed as 2017s and they're not that much less expensive than new. The RAV4 became new for 2019 and the Escape is long in the tooth and feels like a bigger Focus.

Anticipate 20-22k/year on it for five years and it being covered with dings, dents, and scratches on the outside and smell a little "what smell are you trying to hide?" (but if you give it a week, it smells normal) at the end of the term. I'm leaning towards new to get "all of the miles" unless I can find something with super low miles and a way low price because of something like a big hail damage discount.
I really like the Escape, tbh. It drives like a smaller vehicle than it is; it feels like a bigger Focus, which isn't a bad thing. I haven't driven the smaller engined version, but with the 2.0L it's actually pretty good, in terms of performance.

My parents have had a string of like 6 of them, and my mother won't hear of getting anything else.

The fact that it's getting long-in-tooth means you might be able to get a deal on one.

A leftover RAV4 would be my other choice, in your shoes.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote