View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #1211
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The interior is spartan, but you get used to it in the same way you get used to any other minimalist decor. Is it "luxurious?" Yes and no, I guess. An Eames couch isn't particularly "luxurious" for its price point, but it has a clean elegance. The Model 3 is the same way. Most regular cars feel busy and extra in comparison.
Right. One of the reasons that minimalist designs tend to be more expensive is that the workmanship and materials have to be better since there isn't any "gingerbread" to hide seams, etc. Unfortunately, Tesla's build quality isn't yet up to the standard implied by their designs--although the interior quality seemed fine to me.

As far as exterior design, I like the elegant minimalism of the 3. I know it can look a bit froggy/bubbly when viewed head on, but that doesn't bug me too much. When I think about it, there aren't many 4 door cars in the 20-50k price range that look appreciably better other than the Mazda6. I liked the outgoing f30 (though it too looks weird when viewed head on), but the new 3 series is bloated and weird looking. The A4 is fine but a bit plain while the C class just looks blobby and droopy. It's not until you get to the S5 Sportback at 50k+ that things start to get better.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote