View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #495
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm with you. Understood that the infrastructure is very limited right now and the charging rate is still not ideal (but think of where the infrastructure for electric vehicles was a year ago! It's come a very long way). I can't wait for the day when I don't have to visit a "gas" station unless I'm driving several hundred miles.
That day is already here for me...

"Slow" charging works just fine for normal day-to-day driving. I drove 94 miles yesterday (I ran an errand in the evening and met my wife and daughter for dinner -- so had an extra ~30 miles from my regular commute). Plugged in when I got home dinner. The car started charging at 2am (I use scheduled charging), and it was ready to go when I left the house at 5:45am.

I normally charge the car to 75% (keeping the battery closer to 50% is better for longevity). That gives me ~150 miles of range -- and I typically plug in each night with 70-80 miles remaining. ~2.5 hours of charging is all that's needed to replace that range each night. I then leave the house with a 75% charge each morning.

And if I expect to need more than 150 miles the next day, I can change the slider an put it at 90% (~180 miles) or go to 100% (~200 miles). I typically know my driving needs for the next day, so this is not a problem for me.