View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #113
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I dunno; they blow past some issues that, in more typical CR reviews, would be cited as bugs rather than features. No map pockets? Uh, ok. Maybe I can learn to live with that, but is it really an example of innovative design? The cupholders don't work? Again, probably not a deal breaker, but is it something to hold out as a positive? No spare tire? I suppose in a car that can't really go outside the range of AAA, that's not a huge deal, but it it pissed me off in the M3 and it would piss me off here.

I'm not knocking the car; I'm growing increasingly intrigued by them. But something about that review suggests to me that these guys have let their geeky side get carried away here.
I agree with your comments. They come across as giddy about how Tesla re-thought certain things. But they are giving them a pass on a couple things.

I'm basically OK with the no map pockets thing -- although I wished they had put in some more storage cubbies some place (like the Boxster's little cubbies underneath the arm rests on the door -- which I find extremely useful). The center arm rest looks like it would fold up and have storage in it -- but instead its fixed with place to put anything.

As for the cup holders, I have a feeling that those will frustrate me -- they are not placed well (up high and far back -- just in front of the center arm rest). Additionally, Tesla recently made a design change to them that removes the spring-loaded tensioners on the inside (think of the E46 cup holders -- basically the same thing). So now new owners are complaining that bottles wobble and spill. There are some DIY enhancements some people are doing -- like installing Audi or VW cup holders underneath the tray below the Big Screen -- which doesn't look too bad, and I may even try that myself (and may even buy a spare tray so I can permanently install it and reverse the design)

There are also now a couple 3rd parties making a center console to go in the flat space below the Big Screen, and Tesla will start selling one this summer -- and all 3 of the designs have cup holders in them...

At the same time, its unpossible for the Tesla cup holders to be worse than those in the E39. I made it through that car, so I'll make it through the S too...