View Single Post
Old 04-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #21
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Yes —and I didn’t respond directly to Nick’s context but I can to his and your point here. One of the assumptions is that it fits conservative financial guidelines.

It is difficult to know if any car purchase right now is tenable as an investment because it’s so frothy. I think this will not meet that criterion. The homer in me still says yes? It’s a 2 year wait for a 992TT and even now, it’s not guaranteed that it will be hybrid-free. By the time you get your allocation, it’s highly likely the 992.2TT is a hybrid turbo. And it’s not clear that anyone wants this.

So you could argue buying a 992TT now at the market, which is 300,000 is fine. You enjoy it and sell it and sell it for basically what you paid for it.

I think it’s unwieldy though, to act like this isn’t an egregious amount of money for a car. Except for the paragraph above, it’s quite scary as a proposition.
Yeah I think I'd only do it if I were ok with the idea of losing some percentage of that to depreciation. It could turn out that it loses nothing or even gains value but I wouldn't want to go into it assuming that.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote