Thread: CarPro ClearCut
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #15
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
There is a risk when you remove wrap that it will pull up badly adhered paint, especially if the removal is done wrong. This risk is no different than a clear bra. Likewise, a wrap is basically a colored car bra. Although I think that they are frequently a little bit thinner to make installation easier.

Wrapping a car is certainly protective. Unfortunately, if the car's paint is already not in great shape, you'll have to do something about rock chips, etc. BEFORE you wrap it. I'm not expert enough to know where the line is between rock chips that will get covered and chips that will show through, but it's definitely an issue to be aware of.

Edit: And you can see in the pictures that one of my next projects is to remove the old fender stone guards. Which will take patience.
That's sort of the thing. As well as you've been able to work the paint on that car, there's only so far you can bring it...and it will only last up to a point. A wrap just lets you do something fun until then.

To expand a bit on Nick's comments about wraps... Removal can be super bitch. The better and better prepared the finish before the wrap went on, the easier and less likely to damage removal will go.

On this car, I would expect damage...but if the wrap was in place for three years, I would expect the damage magnitude to be comparable to three more years of weathering (but also dependent on use and garaging situation).

Even without damage, it's not like you pull it off and everything's great. You'll have to remove adhesive in places, clay, thoroughly clean and then do a regular wash and application of whatever gloss enhancers and protective coating you're going to use. Basically, all in line with a full on detail.

As Nick said, wraps are generally thinner and don't offer as much protection as higher quality clear bra products, but they do offer some. There are a couple different high quality brands and they all have several lines. They're not all created equally and there are some compromises and trade offs to be made.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote