View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #22
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
That doesn't hurt LiIon as much as it would hurt lead acid/AGM. I investigated LiIon for my larger bikes. They are stored indoors, but unheated, used infrequently in the cold and with no easy plug. The LiIon's - for motorcycles - are great for that, except they have trouble starting those big v-twin pistons in the cold. The battery itself doesn't degrade, with motorcycle size constraints, it just doesn't work as well as stock AGM so I stuck with that come replacement time. Perhaps that is why the bmw LiIon is so costly; that it has the CCA, the Ah and the LiIon technology. On the bikes, the LiIon is not as expensive (1.5 or 2x of AGM) but you give up some functionality.

For now, I try to run them at least every two weeks (really the KTM, as the 4-cyl kawasaki seems to be an easier starter). If we hit a long snowy spell, I'll pull the batteries and carry them into my basement to be plugged in.
That's promising--hopefully I don't have to replace it as often as a lead acid.

EDIT:

Sorry for the threadjack. I also agree about not storing your convertible with the top down. I've read that that is one of the reasons that 986/7 Boxsters all get that abrasion right behind the side window, from sitting with the top down too long.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote