Thread: S54 E30 M3
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #23
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I'm glad I got to hear Chuck Stickley's S54 in person. One of the greatest engine noises I've ever heard. That was an unlimited cost engine build by an engine builder for himself. North of 400 at the wheels, around 500hp at the crank. (Maybe more.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmFrO_3Kft0

At the start here, you can see him outdragging 911 GT cars and Turbos. OK, fine, a long time ago, but still. Normally aspirated S54. The video does not convey just how absolutely insane the noise was coming and going, though. There's very little that makes the induction noise an S54 can. And even less that can make the noise that this one could.

The video does a pretty good job of conveying how insanely fast the car was, especially to anyone who has driven Summit Main. It was only OK in the corners. And Stickley was a not young guy who'd had, IIRC, quadruple bypasses. But holy crap. It MOVED.
That's awesome. Which mufflers are you using on yours? Have you done any work on figuring out specifics of how it will sound? I'm just sort of curious about whether there's a way to engineer out some of the less pleasant sounds from the S54, or if it's just a happy accident that comes from less restrictive mufflers or whatever.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote