Old 06-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Few questions. . .

1. closest airport to you?
2. curious about the included water pump and thermostat. wasn't needed with other stuff you replaced at 110K?

3. Prodigy is P1 P2 or P3 (not an issue, just curious) ((if you don't know, don't sweat it))

4. rear doors are suicide, correct? rattles?

It is more truck than I have been looking at so far. I have been looking at 1/2 tons. but looks like a great truck for the money

1) BWI is about 25 minutes away.
2) I thought the truck had a coolant leak when I bought it and I assumed it was the water pump. I bought the parts to replace it not long after buying the truck, but turns out I was imagining it. It doesn't use or lose any coolant and it doesn't run hot. Seems like the LS-based engines run pretty much forever and the cooling systems are bulletproof. I routinely tow up I-68 which has a very long steep grade and the truck never runs remotely hot.
3) It's not a P3 but beyond that I don't know. I'll try to figure out which one it is tomorrow.
4) Suicide doors. The truck is tight. It doesn't have any interior rattles. There is a slight plasticky rattle in the front end that you only hear with the windows down. I think it's the fender liner, which is missing a couple of its fasteners. I need to pick some up at the auto parts store.

It's a great truck. The main downside compared to a half ton is it gets worse fuel economy (4.10 gears standard on the 3/4 ton models, so it turns some revs on the freeway) which is around 11.5 towing, 12.5 city unloaded and 13-15 unloaded highway depending on how fast you go. It also rides harder than a 1/2 ton - stiffer springs and load range E (80psi) tires. I air the tires down to 55 when I'm not towing, or for winter use and it's not as bad.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote