Thread: Windows Laptop
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #8
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
I saw that you solved the problem locally, but I'll answer this here in case anyone else refers to the thread in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
What is the easiest and/or cheapest way around this dumb and extremely annoying problem? Boot camp on the Mac, I guess, but that would mean buying a copy of Windows? I don't really want to spend the money to do that. Nor do I want to buy a new laptop just for this one task.
Microsoft has various places you can download evaluation or trial versions of Windows (evaluation = time-limited, can't be converted to a regular install by purchasing a license key, trial = time-limited but you can purchase a license key to use it perpetually). These are normally in the 30- to 90-day range (from date of installation).

Coding software may have copy protection that doesn't work properly in a virtualized environment or for other reasons (for example, the older Autoenginuity dongles need a 2nd USB port for their copy-protection thingy, so a system with a single USB port would have problems).

Quote:
EDIT: Should I just buy something like this and take it back when I'm done?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-14-l...?skuId=6450167
Please don't. It just makes it harder for the rest of us to do returns for valid reasons in the future (didn't work, mis-specified features, etc.) without paying a restocking fee and/or jumping through hoops. Plus, for a time there was a big problem with people returning new boxes with bricks or flooring tiles in them, so stores are wary of returns.

eBay systems can be hit-or-miss, and most sellers don't provide detailed specs on the system (like screen resolution) to make an informed decision. A lot of them seem to come with pirated copies of Windows 10 - this seems quite common on systems that were sold with an earlier Windows versions, and the seller used a stock cracked image instead of installing the Windows that the license sticker was good for and then doing the "free upgrade" thing to get a legitimate serial number.

I've been buying Studio 1558s on eBay for $50-$100 and putting new SSDs in them. That's a 10-year-old model which is actually still competitive today, if upgraded to a top-spec configuration. I then sell them to friends at cost. This is not something you should try yourself unless you're comfortable tearing a system down to a set of individual pieces. I've documented some of what I do on my blog.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote