View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
First Gen BMW X1

As the old CR-V putters along with random crap going bad on a more regular basis, it's starting to seem like it will need to be retired very soon. The interior door handle has broken twice, the window motors are bad, the front suspension has long been done, the radio works when it wants, and I've replaced the front rotors twice in less than two years. Since it's really the wife's car, she is getting less patient and I hate driving it.

It's looking more and more like the first generation BMW X1 will be our next car/SUV/CUV/whatever. It is still RWD-based or actually RWD... Has anyone driven or have experience with these vehicles?

From all the reviews I've read, it seems like it will get her the heated seats, working radio, and "sitting up high" that she wants without being something that I totally hate to drive. I think we'd lean toward the base RWD version to save money, but it looks like the RWD has electric steering whereas the 4-cylinder AWD version still has the "classic BMW" steering. Though, it also looks nearly impossible to find one without the stupid panorama sunroof. I might have a tough time accepting that the X1 is faster (by a good margin) than my FR-S.

The Mazda CX-5 is a very close second consideration since it equally fits the bill, but the newest X1 is out of our price range (and FWD-based).
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote