Thread: F-150 Lightning
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #33
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
So…. I stopped by a Ford dealer to test drive the Mach E. The one they had in stock was the California Route 1 edition, which has the larger battery (88kWh and it was showing 301 miles of range - it was plugged in when I drove up) and is RWD (single motor). Sticker was ~$51k.

The sales guy had one pedal driving turned off, and had it in “whisper” mode (which is similar to Tesla’s chill mode and reduces acceleration and regen braking). With one pedal off, the car crept forward with the foot off the brake — actually very artificial feeling. Before I knew that it was in "whisper" mode, I was not impressed -- thinking that while it was quiet and smooth, it didn't feel very fast. We later changed the settings to turn on one pedal driving and out it in unbridled mode. That was much better.

But overall, I’m not sure I liked it. It drove well - but feels heavy (something Tesla is able to hide)… But I’ve really gotten used to Tesla’s minimalism. It was weird to have such a big screen that was basically only the map, audio and HVAC controls. Everything else had physical buttons (mirror adjustments, seat memory, homelink and a start-stop button)

The screen is big, but the space isn’t used all that well. The primary display takes most of the top half of the screen. Below that, there is a smaller strip that shows other features - audio settings, a CarPlay box, and HVAC. Tapping on one of them expands it into the top area, and the map goes into the left most box in the strip. So the order of things in the strip can change….

There is also a volume knob on the screen. While it works, it doesn’t feel good — very plastic feeling. It also is odd that they put a physical control on the screen, which limits how much of the screen can change based in context — that bottom middle is always volume.

But overall, it’s an impressive car and well done. Probably not for me — I really like how Tesla transformed the experience (pressing the brake when sitting in the drivers seat to turn the car off is still one of my favorite examples). But for someone coming from an ICE, this is really a great way to experience an EV.

Last edited by ZBB; 05-24-2021 at 09:22 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote