View Single Post
Old 03-02-2024, 03:08 PM   #82
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I've driven the M5 a bit more now.

I've settled on using my M1 settings. "Efficient" is just too boring and unexciting. Going to "Sport" prevents the car from (literally) driving around in 8th gear at 35mph. It also makes the car downshift to a properly low enough gear when asked. The exhaust sounds better too. I also use the medium shift speed, which is more responsive than the default.

My overall feelings have not changed. I continue to think the suspension is excellent in comfort mode. The car has surprisingly good reflexes. The brakes are amazing but a bit touchy at low speeds.

But the car isn't that exciting. I've not done launches nor rolling accelerations to redline in 2nd gear, but in all other circumstances, such as accelerating hard from 50mph, the car will get to 100mph incredibly quickly but with too little drama. It's too comfortable and isolated and dangerously fast. By the numbers, it is easily faster than the 997TT, but it doesn't feel it. Like the 997TT it asks for little skill to do amazing things thanks to AWD. It is also unnecessarily fast. The F80 was MUCH more entertaining. For its smoothness and fast shifts, I can't love that transmission anywhere near as much as a MT.

But it is an AWESOME place to be in. I'm starting to like the sport exhaust and I am quite sure now that active sound (or whatever it is called) is not active. It's very quiet inside and all the noise is real noise form the outside. I wish I could enable/disable it with a button to try it.

Last edited by FC; 03-02-2024 at 05:41 PM.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote