View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That's fair. But while I can see that on the 7er I am not so sure that's the case in a 5er or an X3. But that's just a guess.
And it isn't like those models are going to become cult classics and start going up in value. You used to be able to get E30s for cheap, then when those started going up, E36s.The E46 M models (and lately the ZHP) have gone up, and the older E30/E36 models have either become insanely priced (for good-to-excellent examples) or either de-converted track rats or "needs some work and extensive rust repair, ran when parked 10 years ago" cars. I like the E46 because aside from its looks, it was the last of the BMWs where you could do all of the stuff I did (Euro mods, etc.) without going and having everything re-coded, or worse yet not being able to do them at all.

The original X3 must have fared even worse because it wasn't a "real" BMW, being designed and built by Magna Steyr. And it had those awful Rubbermaid bumpers.

For those who don't remember my E46 wagon (click the pic for more info):

That pretty much did it for me, BMW-wise. I still have it and other than having a phase of going through CV joints (all but the first replaced under parts warranty), the usual window regulators, and a recent service which involved replacing pretty much everything between the radiator and engine block due to increasing coolant leaks from multiple places (BMW's cheap plastic) and a DTML pump, it has been well behaved for 18+ years now.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote