View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 12:28 PM   #426
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm late to the party here but congrats on the CX-5! Ours has treated us very well since picking it up in '17 (first year of the current bodystyle)

Regarding the brakes, they are very bizarre. They have decent initial bite, but as you lean into the pedal more the friction and stopping power feel about the same. Very non-linear. I started doing research into what aftermarket pads would fit back before COVID, but then gave up because our use of the car became so infrequent and we discussed selling it. Let me dig some more and see what I can find, because I agree the factory brake feel is sub-par. There was a pretty affordable set of StopTech pads that looked like a good option.

Be careful in rain - the factory Toyos are abysmal in rain, even at full tread-depth. Another thing I planned to replace, but then didn't because of the reasons above. They also don't have much dry grip.
Just checked and my Toyos are the A36. May or may not be an improvement over the A23s that probably came on your car--or maybe you had the A36s as well.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote