Thread: Garage lift
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #30
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So I checked into the single post lift by American Custom lifts and thought it might possibly be a good option but am I crazy to think the price is really high ...

The lift is $7k plus another $1k for shipping + $1k to 1.5k for installation plus they have extra's you are going to want to have like Protectors to prevent the ramps from scratching your floor $90., then another $250 for low ceiling applications, etc.

Basically when you are all done you're at at least $10,000 and this doesn't include the charge from an electrician to wire up 220v plus the cost to raise the garage tracks and to change over to a side mounted garage door opener.

Then I started to think about it and it would only be good on the left side of my garage which means I need to be super careful each time I open the drivers door.
A few thoughts:

AFAICT, you can afford to do whatever you want. Put in the lift, do all the garage mods to make it work, etc isn't going to hurt much. You just don't want to. I'm also guessing that financially, you can easily build a detached garage that would be exactly as you want or extend/expand the one you're currently using. I don't know if your property can accommodate and that may be the limiting factor.

You've talked about or alluded to not being happy with your garage space and car storage options quite a few times over a long period of time. Makes me think you really want to do something...and that eventually, you will.

So, the question is, do it now while you'll have the most time left to enjoy it or wait another few years and have that much less time to enjoy it while probably paying more for it?

The cost of this lift, the mods you'd have to do, and all that sounds like it would only be a fraction of the cost of any of the past 10+ cars you've bought.

Also, if you get the wiring done for 220, you won't have to do it when you get an electric car that needs it. If you have to park in a way where you have to be careful of a wall, a foam pad stuck to the wall at a strategic location will protect your door. Lots of choices on Amazon in the $10-$20 range. Been using for the Camaro and it works perfectly.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote