View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #555
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Is it possible to program the car to charge only between midnight and 7am? I know you can start it at a given time. Can you stop it?
Unfortunately, not in the car. Its a feature people have been asking about for years...

But there is a way to more or less make this work…
a) Set the start time to 12am (when your low rates kick in)
b) If you are worried that you won't unplug by 7am and it may need a higher charge, set the battery % slider to a level to where you know you won't exceed by 7am. Unfortunately, this is a setting that sticks until you change it -- so you may need to update it occasionally. Fortunately, this can be changed in the app as well as in the car.

As for charging, I think you can get away with the lower amperage. Crap, I'm charging using the NEMA 5-20 adapter (120V 20A) -- which should get 6-7 miles per hour of charge on the 3. But I also don't have a Time of Use plan, so no penalty for charging at any time. But I'm able to replace my usage most days, with occasional catch up on weekends (especially in winter when I'd use 10-15 miles more per day than I could charge overnight -- typically 12-13 hours plugged in) -- so worst case on the coldest winter days was something like this:
Mon: Start at 170 miles (90%). Plug in at ~100 (summer is ~115…)
Tues: Start at 160 miles, Plug in at 90
Wed: Start at 150 miles, Plug in at 80
Thurs: Start at 140 miles, Plug in at 70
Fri: Start at 130 miles, Plug in at 60
Weekend -- charge as needed to get back to 90%

Does your TOU plan have low rates on weekends? If so, you can catch up charging on weekends...