View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 10:47 AM   #14
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Hmm. If we’re talking price when new, I’ve already hit it the $100k mark (or very close to it) with my current garage: high-spec CX5 and M240 convertible.

That doesn’t mean I don’t think about what a different mix would be ALL THE TIME.

If it’s a higher priced, higher-rigor sports car, I’d need to go down to a single car. I’m with JV that the Cayman 6-cylinder would be the best single car to get, but not practical with my current life.

I could get away with an M3 Sedan. But it would be less useful that my current fleet and potentially less fun.

And like Josh, I think in my heart of hearts, the M240 is a better fit for me and easier to live with than any Boxster/Cayman would be. I just wish it were a little more taut, a bit better steering feel, a slightly stiffer suspension.

So, I wish for the car that does not exist: The M2 convertible. And it might be close to $100k, if it did exist?

Yeah I hadn’t really put much thought into the exact parameters of the question I posed. But your current mix of cars is certainly a possible answer.

When I was younger, I think I dismissed convertibles out of hand. But if you’re going to have a dedicated fun car it makes a lot of sense for it to be a convertible (unless you plan on regularly tracking it of course). The boxster seems to be the gold standard but it’s hard to beat the added practicality of the 1/2 series verts.

I also have a possibly self destructive desire to own an Aston Martin vantage v8 or Maserati gran turismo at some point. I still think they are beautiful cars. Though used examples now in the 40s I’d probably need to set aside the rest of the 100k for repairs!

One off the wall idea is the Ferrari FF. I don’t think they have quite gotten down to 100k yet though. I have a weird fascination with it even though it could be considered ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote