Thread: M550i Search
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2023, 09:29 PM   #18
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
There is a reason why BMW sells N63s for less than $5k. They tend sell a lot of them. A friend that is a former BMW tech turned Porsche tech in the past year absolutely despises the N63. He has replaced his fair share of them including its sibling, the S63

I had the E39 540 (M62) serviced at my local dealer about a month ago. One of the techs that has been there since the E39s were new informed me after serving it that he has disliked every BMW V8 produced as per him they cannot produce one that does not have issues.

Edit: I do want to state that generally N63s tend not to exhibit any issues until 60-75,000 miles. Obviously YMMV.

It added an additional 3 years/75k miles. It currently has 12k. BMW’s platinum warranty is basically a bumper to bumper warranty, similar to the factory coverage.
Well, that’s disappointing. If the engine is so bad why are V8 BMWs not basically free?

I’m not doubting what your tech is saying, I am only curious if those comments and experiences are calibrated to post 2018 or even post 2015 V8s, when massive improvements were allegedly made.

I still have not made a decision and by all accounts I’ve heard that the 540 is pretty darn good. I still need to drive them both.

All that said, I’m not against getting the extended warranty.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote