Thread: rumatt's E46
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #254
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I've been working on it, but everything I've been doing is too dirty to want to get my phone out to take pictures.

I finished extracting the other broken exhaust manifold studs. That job is positively no fun, but it's done. That was the main thing holding me up from getting the clutch done and the transmission back in.

The shift select rod in the transmission had a bad seal, so I pulled and replaced that. I got to use my homemade slide hammer which always makes me happy. I also installed the shift console bushings, cleaned up the console, and re-installed that with new clips.

The cooling system is done. The thermostat housing had obviously been leaking fairly badly, as there was a trail of coolant residue down the front cover of the engine. The overflow tank, somehow, didn't have a crack in it. Given the mileage, it should have been broken. I'm glad Matt bought genuine BMW replacements. The aftermarket stuff is garbage for the cooling system (except the Stewart pump ).

Both motor mounts are done. The VANOS is rebuilt and back on the car. The valve cover gasket is done and the cover is back on the engine. The throttle body and idle control valve are clean and reinstalled along with all new intake boots. I flushed the brakes and will flush the clutch slave when the trans is back in the car. The oil filter housing is on with a new seal.

So... coming up this weekend. Finish the clutch and flywheel install. Re-install the transmission, with a new giubo on the driveshaft. Bleed the clutch slave. Get the accessories installed back onto the engine (PS pump, alternator). Hopefully get the car back on four wheels and do the alignment, and bleed the cooling system. I'd like to take it for a drive (with no front bumper) but I'm not sure that'll happen. I want to at least get it out into the driveway so I can powerwash the engine bay. Which I should have done before I started, but I like to see where the leaks are and you can't really tell until you start tearing into stuff.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote