View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #141
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm not sure how Tesla is actually doing this on their balance sheets, but ostensibly some cash from the sale of each Model S and Model X goes to cover supercharging, even for cars (like mine) where it is "included" in the price.

The superchargers are expensive but in the grand scheme of things not THAT expensive (compared, e.g., to the cost of building the Gigafactory). And the average car probably doesn't use them more than a few dozen times in its entire lifespan.

At bottom, you could almost write the cost of the network off as a marketing expense and still justify it.

But I agree with Bren--at some point, it seems likely that Tesla will transition to a different model for the Superchargers, it just won't be at the launch of the Model 3.
they will need to build out a dealer-like infrastructure, too. the Model 3 is a mass market car. the system for dealing with poor build quality on the model S will not be tolerated for people buying the model 3. your S model demographic is typically someone who has 3-5 cars. your model 3 demographic will be an angry bunch.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote