View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #15
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quick review ... This is not a 911 or R8 replacement, heck I wouldn't say it's an M4 replacement either ... With that said it is a really cool car and I am now definitely considering one but the problem would be I wouldn't want it to replace either of my sports cars ... Maybe I can get away with having it as a 4th car for myself . Totally kidding but it would be nice.

Coming off the line I feel a delay it can be the drive by wire, I'm not sure but it doesn't leap off the line. The power is very good and the car moves really well here comes the buts ... The gas engine is a 3 cylinder so I'm sure the exhaust and sound aren't there but BMW like you all know gives you fake engine noise which I have to say is really growelly (is that a word?) and mean sounding but it is not natural like my other 2 cars ... Guys like us can totally tell it's fake.

I am trying to explain this the best I can, this is a great car and it drives really well but it is kind of like a sporty coupe drive in a very sexy body.

Gull wing doors: I need to talk about this, when the bmw rep first let me sit in it and he closed the door I got an immediate claustrophobic feel ... I opened the window right away to make sure I could fit through it just in case the door gets stuck ... It is a very weird feeling and I remember feeling the same exact thing when my friend let me sit in his Lamborghini countach replica ...that scissor door and half window freaked me out.

The car is missing some things I am guessing to cut down on the usage of the battery like there is no power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, no memory seats, no blind side assistance, etc. strange for a $150k car plus the battery range is ridiculous, it shows like 20 miles or something like that.
Btw you get a lot of attention driving this car especially when opening the gull wing doors but when I see this car next to the R8 it looks like a futuristic car but not a mean looking bad ass like the R8.

The handling feels good but again this is not a sports car, I am not a crazy driver so I won't get to the limits but it doesn't have the same feel as the 911 or the R8.

Overall it is a car you can use every day and feel comfortable ... It has the cool looks of a super car with the drive of a good sports coupe ... It would be perfect for the older gentleman except getting in and out of it is a real bitch ... As the BMW rep told me ... Ass first getting in and you'll be fine.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote